Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Things I Have Learned about (Seemingly) Inanimate Objects

The Girly House

KARMA:  Just as I believe that every building is alive, I have firmly come to believe that every apartment and house has its own karma.  Some of our apartments will have a succession of wonderful tenants.  Others, no matter how hard I try, seem to attract crazy people, or people who become crazy some time after living there.  Some days I think we need an apartment exorcist.  I used to think it had to do with location or sunlight, but that’s not necessarily true.  I can’t really put my finger on it, but sometimes I just have to open the windows and leave an apartment empty for a while, and wait for just the right tenant to change the karma.  And when that person moves in, you just know it’s going to be better cleaned, better appreciated, better loved. 

SEX:  Similarly, some apartments are male, some female.  Not every apartment is obvious about its sexuality, but some are almost lascivious about it. And they’re pretty proprietary about it.  They will never rent to the “opposite” sex. Or if they relent, and the “wrong” sex person moves in, they won’t stay long. 

And although I never expressed my feelings about this to anyone, recently an applicant saw two different apartments:  one male & one female.  He wasn’t very "decorative", just a regular dude, and I know he wasn't giving much thought to what he was saying.  But I was taken aback when he said straight out to me that he’d take the male apartment, because the other one was a “ladies” apartment, and he was more comfortable in the “man’s” apartment.

Right now I have a whole house that's female.  There are four apartments, plus my office in it, and every one is rented by a woman!  Even a woman who lives next door, and not in our building, uses our yard instead of her own for family parties!  So, really!  Can it be a coincidence that every one in the building is girly?

No comments:

Post a Comment