Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Not Married, with Children

Somewhere in the mid-80s, I started having people call who were looking for apartments for themselves and their fiancées.  At first I would naively ask when the wedding date was.  It took a while for me to figure out that “fiancée” was a euphemism for “Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?” 

I started saying “if I had a nickel for every 'affianced' couple who calls here…”, and shortly thereafter got a coffee can, cut a slit in the top, and set up a Fiancee Jar. Every time someone would come in and use that meaningless phrase, I’d drop a nickel into the jar.  After about a year, we donated the jar of cash to the Red Cross. 

There was about 20 bucks in it.  How deeply do you want to think about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment